Mon - Fri : 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Can You Itemize Your Miscellaneous Deductions?

Can You Itemize Your Miscellaneous Deductions?

Posted By

Miscellaneous deductions you paid for as an employee can reduce your tax bill if they are work related expenses, but you must itemize deductions when you file to claim these expenses. If you usually claim the standard deduction, it might be time for you to start thinking about itemizing to lower your taxes. Here are some tax tips that may help you reduce your taxes:

Deductions Subject to 2% Limit.

You can deduct most miscellaneous costs only if their sum is more than two percent of your adjusted gross income. These include expenses such as:

·     Unreimbursed employee expenses.

·     Job search costs for a new job in the same line of work.

·     Some work clothes and uniforms.

·     Tools for your job.

·     Union dues.

·     Work-related travel and transportation.

·     The cost you paid to prepare your tax return. These fees include the cost you paid for tax preparation software. They also include any fee you paid for e-filing of your return.

Deductions Not Subject to 2% Limit.

Some deductions are not subject to the two percent limit. They include:

·     Certain casualty and theft losses. In most cases, this rule applies to damaged or stolen property you held for investment. This is where a hurricane loss would be deducted.

·     Gambling losses up to the total of your gambling winnings.

·     Losses from Ponzi-type investment schemes.

You claim allowable miscellaneous deductions on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, but keep in mind, however, that there are many expenses that you cannot deduct. It is best to contact us at John Pharr CPA to clarify any questions you may have and let us save you some of your hard-earned money.

Need more information about itemizing deductions or help setting up a system to track your itemized deductions? Don’t hesitate to call.

John Pharr CPA
Send Us a Message